Thanks for visiting FixYa!
First, you can click on this link to view the user manual for your phone:http://www.home-electronics.net/USER-GUIDES/25952_DOM_EN_CL_IB.pdf
The user manual is in PDF format and may take a minute for it to load the page on your screen.
If you need a PDF reader to view the page, you can download one here for free: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
You state that you cannot get the second phone (handset?) to work. However you didn't specifically state the problem you're having. (ie., (1) won't turn on, (2) turns on but won't work with the other phone, (3) won't ring or (4) have a dial tone but won't dial out, etc.) So, I'll try a few solutions:
If the problem is that the phone will not turn on, check or replace the battery. You may be able to purchase a new one on eBay for less money.
If the Handset can not link to the base, your phone's manual instructs as follows:
• If any handsets become inoperable, place it on the main base cradle for 20 seconds to re-register.Setting Up the Handset:
There are nine programmable menus available: Language, Handset Name, Area Code, Ringer ON/OFF, Ringer Tone, VIP Ring Tone, Tone/Pulse, Transfer and Default Setting.
During programming, you may press the mute/menu button at any time to go to the next option. Pressing mute/menu button takes you through the menu choices. When changes have been made to selected menu item, pressing the mute/menu button saves the changes and Confirmation Tone sounds. To exit the menu and keep the previous setting and return to the standby mode, press the *EXIT/tone button.Display Language
1. Press the mute/menu button until 41ENG 2FRA 3ESP shows in the display. 1ENG is the default. (ENG stands for English. FRA stands for French. ESP stands for Spanish.)
2. Use the CALLER ID-VOLUME (5or6) button or the touch-tone pad on the handset to enter your selection.
3. Press mute/menu again to save.Handset Name
1. Press the mute/menu button until ENTER NAME shows in the display.
2. Use the touch-tone pad to enter the name (up to 15 characters). More than one letter is stored in each of the number keys. For example, to enter the name Bill Smith, press the 2 key twice for the letter B. Press the 4 key 3 times for the letter I. Press the 5 key 3 times for the letter L. Wait for one second. Press the 5 key 3 times for the second letter L. Press th e 1 key to insert a space between the L and the S. Press the 7 key 4 times for the letter S; press the 6 key once for the letter M; press the 4 key 3 times for the letter I; press the 8 key for the letter T; press the 4 key twice for the letter H.
NOTE: If you make a mistake, use the chan/delete button to backspace and delete one character at a time.
3. Press mute/menu again to save.
NOTE: If no name is entered, READY shows in the display.Local Area Code
This program setup allow you to setup how the incoming caller ID show on the display.
1. Press the mute/menu button until AREA CODE - - - shows in the display. "- - -" is the default.
2. Use the touch-tone pad on the handset to enter your three digit area code.
3. Press mute/menu again to save.
NOTE: If you make a mistake, press the chan/delete button to erase a wrong number.Ringer ON/OFF
1. Press the mute/menu button until RINGER 41 ON shows in the display. 1ON is the default.
2. Use the CALLER ID-VOLUME (5or6) button or the touch-tone pad on the handset to scroll to 1 ON or 2 OFF .
3. Press mute/menu to save.
NOTE: If you turn the ringer off, RINGER OFF shows on the display.Ringer Tone
You can choose from 10 ringtones.
1. Press the mute/menu button until RINGER TONE 401 shows in the display. 01 is the default.
2. Use the CALLER ID-VOLUME (5or6) button or the touch-tone pad on the handset to select from 01 to 10.
3. Press mute/menu to save.VIP Ring Tone
This feature allows you to assign a specific ring tone to a number stored in Memory. It is recommended that you store a Caller ID record into Memory for this purpose.
1. Press the mute/menu button until VIP RING TONE shows in the display.
2. Press the desired memory location (0 through 9). If there is a number stored in the selected memory location, VIP RT 4DEFAULT shows in the display.
3. Press CALLER ID-VOLUME (5or6) on the handset to select from 01 to 10 or DEFAULT to use ring tone set in the Ringer Tone Menu or SILENT to silence ringer.
4. Press mute/menu to save.
Without specific information from you as to exactly what is not working properly, all I can do is to refer you to the user guide (see link above.)
Please reply (by selecting comment) if you need further assistance.