How can chapter titles be inserted into an existing document in Microsoft Word 2010?
Insert The Chapter Number And Title In A Header Or Footer
First divided your document into sections in order to insert chapter numbers and titles into headers and footers.
1. If you haven't done so already, insert a section break where you want to start a new section that contains a different chapter.
a. Click where you want to insert a section break.
b. On the Insert menu, click Break.
c. Under Section break types, click the option that describes where you want the new section to begin.
Note: If you have already inserted a page break to cause the chapter to start on a new page, delete the page break and replace it with a section break that starts on a new page.
2. Apply a built-in heading style to the chapter number and chapter title by clicking a heading style in the Style box on the Formatting toolbar.
Or to have Microsoft Word automatically number headings, use the Bullets and Numbering dialog box to format chapter headings.
a. On the Format menu, click Bullets and Numbering, and then click the Outline Numbered tab.
b. Click a chapter-numbering style (one that includes the text "Heading 1" or "Heading 2," and so on), and then click OK.
c. Type the text you want for the numbered heading, and then press ENTER.
d. To add the next numbered heading, go to the next chapter heading, click the arrow next to the Style box on the Formatting toolbar, and then select the heading style you specified in step 2.
1. In the first chapter, on the View menu, click Header and Footer.
2. If necessary, move the insertion point to the header or footer you want to change.
3. Insert the chapter number or title.
a. On the Insert menu, point to Reference, and then click Cross-reference.
b. In the Reference type box, click Heading.
c. In the For which heading box, click the heading that contains the chapter number and title.
d. In the Insert reference to box, select what you want to insert in the header or footer. For example,
• Click Heading number to insert the chapter number.
• Click Heading text to insert the chapter heading.
e. Click Insert, and then click Close.
4. Click Show Next Button image to move to the header or footer of the next chapter.
5. If the header or footer in this chapter matches the one you just created, click Link to Previous Button image on the Header and Footer toolbar to break the connection between the header or footer in the current chapter and the previous chapter.
6. If there's already text in the header or footer that you don't want, delete the text before inserting the chapter number and title.
7. Repeat step 5 to insert the chapter number or title of the current chapter.
8. For each chapter in the document, repeat steps 5 through 9.
on Aug 10, 2014