Can not charge
To locate the problem, it's important you own a multimeter, which can read DC Voltage and resistance.
If you do own one, then you can perform the following :
Set your multimeter in Voltage (DC)-mode.
Remove the battery from your phone and see what Voltage it's rated. (might be something like 3.7V, 4.2V or even higher.
The phone contains a minimum of 2 (small) pins, which is touching the
battery, when it was inserted. The battery will have 2 or move gold-alike pads.Try to measure the battery at these pads to see the Voltage. If there are more pins, don't worry, just try to measure between all pins.
If the readout at your multimeter is roughly 0.5 Volts below the rated Voltage, the battery should be replaced.
Battery rated 3.7 V. Readout multimeter : 3.2 V
Battery should be replaced.
2. Adapter / charger
Insert the adapter in a wall-outlet (110 / 240 V AC)
The adapter, contains a plug, which inserts into your mobile phone. At this plug, you need the Voltage. The readout at your multimeter should be a higher than the Voltage-rating at he battery. If not, your adapter / charger is damaged.
3. Onboard connection
Set your multimeter in Resistance-mode, sometimes also shown as the Ohm-sign.
When charging your phone, your adapter is connected to your phone, redirected to the battery. Now it's time to check if there's a good connection between the phone-inlet and the battery-pins inside your phone. The inlet has in the center a metal pin. Try to connect your multimeter to this pin, and one of the battery-pins inside your phone. If there's no connection, to any of these pins, you'll get no readout. This might mean, the phone-inletconnector is not well connected to the board(*) of your phone.
(*) The green print, with all tiny electronic components.
The source of this damage might be :
A) While charging, the phone dropped on the floor.
B) Non-official adapter / charger
Maybe a higher rated current than allowed. A battery may be charged 1 / 10th of the specificated current. So, if the battery shows 1600 mAh, the batttery can be safely charged at a current of 160 mAh. If you use a 2A (= 2000 mA) charger, you can charge the battery, but results in a shorter lifetime of the battery.
Sometimes, even polarity might be an issue (reversed) or the non-official charger is supplying AC-Voltage instead of DC-Voltage.
C) Damaged onboard controller
Some phones contain a kind of controller-IC to control the charging proces. If the charger was supplying a too high Voltage or current (Ampere), it might end up in a fried controller-IC.
I such case you might have heard a "plop" when inserting this charger into your phone, or noticed smoke or a distinctive smell (of burned components)
Any repair for type A, B or C-damage, requires special skills and tools. If you lack any of these 2, go for a repair-shop or buy a new mobile phone.
Oct 13, 2013 |
LG Cell Phones