Question about Raco Switchbox

1 Answer

Looking for the best metallic switch box and accessories for cutting in a switch in hollow CMU wall.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

This one does a pretty good job for mounting a switch in a hollow wall and should work fine for a CMU wall. The expanding "wings" work well in securing the box into a hollow wall. To cut the hole I would use a hammer dill with a small bit (~1/4" should do) and drill a series of holes to cut the outline and knock out the hole and use a masonry chisel to clean up the hole.
Why can't you surface mount? There are a large number of low profile boxes that do the trick and save you some time if you could get away with surface mounting.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011


1 Suggested Answer


6ya staff

  • 2 Answers


Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Dear Sir How to fasten grab bar LR8918P ( page 66 )to the wall. I plan on buying one and attaching it with screws through 1/2 inch drywall and wood studding. Thank you, George

Use a hollow wall anchor similar to this design (This design is my preferred drywall/plasterboard anchor and I use them all the time) -
Hollow Wall Anchor M6 6mm Grip Range 3mm 16mm Cavity Fixings Zinc Yellow...
If you hit a timber stud inside the wall while drilling the guide hole, simply use an appropriate timber screw to anchor the grab rail mount to. These metal anchors are easy to use and very robust.
Avoid using plastic self drilling anchors. They are low load bearing, sometimes fail when being drilled into the wall leaving a hole and forcing you to relocate your fixture and are difficult to extract the anchor screw from once you've completed mounting your hardware. I'll add a video tutorial on how to use this design of wall anchor -

Oct 14, 2018 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

Tying into existing groundless knob and tube to run a couple fixtures and one outlet. Grounds?

Being as it is in the bathroom, there should be a cold-water metal pipe near. Attach a green conductor using an approved ground clamp. Run the wire to the outlet you want to ground. Attach to the box (if metal) then attach to the receptacle. If you can't get a ground installed as described, you could protect all the items (ceiling light and light over the sink) with the GFCI. All you need to do is feed the two items from the load side of the GFCI instead of the line side. This provides "people" protection as the GFCI function does not require a ground to detect the imbalance between the "hot" and the "neutral". This does not provide "equipment" protection.

Apr 23, 2015 | Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Broken aux metal end stuck in Sony boom box

If the center of the aux end is hollow, put a pin inside of it, tilt it inside to put tension on it, then pull it out.

A thicker pin will work best.

Jul 26, 2014 | Sony iPod/iPhone Boom Box

1 Answer

Signal lights are not working

First of all have you checked the fuse? Then check the relay box for your signal relay, it is as follows.
To the left of your left foot, above the pull lever where you open your trunk. For the Flasher relay, you'll have to go behind the steering wheel column and take off that panel. Above the fuse box & to the left of the steering wheel there's a hollow rectangular box looking thing that's big enough to hold cigarettes. The hollow box has a lightbulb knob to the left of it. You can pry out the hollow box with a screwdriver to access the relay.

Apr 27, 2012 | 2001 Hyundai Accent

2 Answers

Im looking to mount my TV to my wall and wanted to know what size screws to use?

This will depend on what type of wall you are fixing it to. It's a pretty big TV so for a solid timber brick or cement block wall I would suggest M5 or M6 x 50mm
If it's a hollow stud-work wall you will need to use specialist hollow wall fixings such as toggle bolts. again M5 or M6 thickness would be appropriate but you would be well advised to try to screw into the actual stud-work rather than just rely on plasterboard to support such a weight. You can buy an electronic stud detecting tool from DIY stores relatively cheaply.

Feb 25, 2011 | Panasonic TCP42C2 42 in TV

3 Answers

What do i do to cut inside/outside corners for crown molding

It is very hard to make proper cuts with one of these.

You may want to buy a power miter saw.

You would be better off marking your 45 degree angle and cutting it freehand.

If you angle your saw a little the face will look like it matches up better.

If you need more help post a comment.


May 03, 2009 | Stanley Tools/Goldblatt Tool No.20 - 600...

2 Answers

How to Install Toilet Paper Holder?

I can't unscrew the toilet paper holder from the wall to move it to a different place. There is only one tiny screw underneath, hard to see and it does not move????? appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Aug 27, 2008 | Hansgrohe E & S Accessories 40526000...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Raco  Switchbox Logo

Related Topics:

85 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Raco Electrical Supplies Experts

Gene Haynes

Level 3 Expert

5391 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

18136 Answers

john h

Level 3 Expert

22486 Answers

Are you a Raco Electrical Supply Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides