Question about SimpleTech 120GB SIMPLEDRIVE PORTABLE USB 2.0 DESIGNED BY PININFARINA 120 GB Hard Drive
I installed xp on dell vostro a 840 ,after that i installed all requred driver afterward every thing is working fine except usb device is not detecting , i dont know why.. any suggestion .
I devised these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
Posted on Sep 17, 2009
I HOPE THE FOLLOWING STEPS WILL HELP YOU TO SLOVE THE USB PROBLEM
PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE .......
Posted on Sep 17, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 27, 2012 | Dell Vostro 3450 Notebook
Nov 26, 2009 | Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop
Oct 13, 2009 | Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop
Sep 15, 2009 | Dell Optiplex GX110 (2909T) Motherboard
Aug 03, 2009 | Dell X2033 - Latitude D600 D500 Inspiron...
Jun 25, 2009 | Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop
Apr 01, 2009 | Dell Vostro 1000 Notebook
Mar 24, 2009 | Dell Vostro A860 Notebook
Sep 22, 2007 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional With...
258 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!