Question about Kenmore 64663 Microwave Oven

3 Answers

Microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic

We have a Kenmore 64663 Stainless Steel 1200 Watts Microwave. We have been smelling "burning plastic" but didn't know it was coming from the microwave. Was thawing meat and when the smell was apparent again, I opened the microwave door and smoke came out of vents on the right, inside the microwave. We have since taken the microwave off the wall, taken outershell of and tried to duplicate smoke and smell. Can't. However the inside still smells strong of burning plastic.

Posted by on

Ad

3 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Kenmore Master
  • 43,501 Answers

Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Posted on Aug 07, 2010

Ad
  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    New Friend:

    An expert that has 1 follower.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Did you just have a Smart Meter installed by your local electric company?

Posted on Jan 19, 2012

  • rhenkohan
    rhenkohan Dec 09, 2012

    My microwave just started to not work, then this AM, was smoking. I have a smart meter installed but 1-2 years ago.

  • rhenkohan
    rhenkohan Dec 09, 2012

    Smart MEter about 1 to 2 years ago. Microwave smoking during cooking this AM. Stopped it immediately.

×

Ad
  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    New Friend:

    An expert that has 1 follower.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Maybe you should have removed the plastic packing BEFORE You used the microwave for the first time. I am in the service end of this.. I see many morons do this.

Posted on Apr 24, 2014

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya

6ya staff

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE:

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Fuse replacement Kenmore microwave


Unplug. Remove the top/side panel. The fuse will be obvious near the power cord it is a special non glass fuse used in microwaves. (i save many fuses from microwaves others placed at the curb so mine are always free)

Oct 20, 2013 | Kenmore 63683 Stainless Steel 1200 Watts...

1 Answer

Replace fuse Kenmore microwave 72163683300


Unplug remove cover the fuse is near the power cord replace with card-board type non-glass fuse as original.

Oct 20, 2013 | Kenmore 63683 Stainless Steel 1200 Watts...

1 Answer

Kenmore 62463 / 721.62463201 Stainless Steel 1200 Watts Microwave. My daughter used it as a timer for reading and set it to cook for 30 minutes with nothing in it. It turns on but is loud and no longer...


You probably fried the magnetron(it actually makes the microwaves that do the cooking). I bet you will find the magnet is broken(from excessive heat). There should be a diagnostic guide sheet somewhere inside the housing(due to running production changes,this is a guide for the pros to test the power supply,magnetron,etc with an ohmmeter to determine which is defective.

Sep 18, 2013 | Kenmore 62463 721.62463201 Stainless Steel...

1 Answer

Microwave turntable stopped and is now burning food


The turntable is driven by a small electric motor mounted underneath the cabinet. The motor may have failed. Also check whether the rotating plate was binding which also causes failure of the motor

Dec 23, 2012 | Whirlpool GT4175SPS Stainless Steel 1200...

2 Answers

MIcrowave emits an electrical smell while cooking. It still cooks, but has started emitting an odor recently when in use.


Is the smell ionized (the outside smell of a cold winter morning air) or more of an electronic component burning??? if it's more of an ionized smell it could be normal, (if the smell is strong) it could be a leaking high voltage cable (electric arching) bad insulator, if it's more of an electronic component burning smell, it could be a overheating component, in both cases you should have it checked by a professional technician...

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2011 | Sharp KB-6024MS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts...

1 Answer

No heat coming from microwave


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

hghg

Mar 03, 2010 | Whirlpool GT4175SPS Stainless Steel 1200...

1 Answer

Microwave oven not heating thoroughly


u need to clean the cavity inside the microwave .. step to clean that .. put a cup of water nearly half filled( 30 ml ) and start microwave for five minutes .. after that just open microwave and clean from inside with clean cotton cloth .. this will surely help ..

Mar 23, 2009 | Kenmore 63683 Stainless Steel 1200 Watts...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 64663 Microwave Oven Logo

7,183 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9179 Answers

Gerry Harvey
Gerry Harvey

Level 3 Expert

1481 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

6048 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...