Question about GE JVM1660 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE JVM1660 003 Microwave Humming Noise and Blown Circuit Breaker

I have a GE JVM1660 003 over the range microwave, manufactured in March of 2000. It was making a humming noise and blew a circuit breaker. I replaced the magnetron, diode and stirrer, but it has the same symptoms. I can't say for sure if it is heating or not... it blows the breaker after running for 15 sec or so. Could it be a bad transformer?

Posted by on

  • Steve Sep 08, 2012

    FYI, the door switches are good. Any other suggestions?

  • Steve Mar 10, 2013

    Just FYI, the switches were fine. I'm pretty sure this was a bad transformer, so we just replaced the microwave.

×

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Champion:

    An expert who has answered 200 questions.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • GE Expert
  • 319 Answers

Did you check and replace the door switches

Posted on Sep 07, 2012

  • Steve Sep 07, 2012

    I did not.... I will check those tonight. How would a bad door switch cause a high load on the microwave? Note it is blowing a 20 amp circuit.

  • Quinton
    Quinton Sep 10, 2012

    That swiches causes a short ,you can open the switches and check if its been burn in side,or arck.

×

Ad

6 Suggested Answers

Anonymous

SOURCE:

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad
MicrowaveSvc

William Miller

  • 9179 Answers

SOURCE: GE Spacesaver microwave trips the circuit breaker

Since power = voltage X current, 1.58kW / 120VAC = 13.166A

So this unit should be fine on a 15A breaker unless the breaker is bad, the wiring or a connection is loose somewhere between the breaker and the microwave, or the microwave's magnetron or high voltage transformer are failing and drawing extra current.

Microwaves should really be on the own separate breaker if at all possible. Plus, the more a breaker trips, the more work out it gets.

Have you measured the voltage at the outlet? If that's off, current and power will be affected. It should be about 110-125VAC.

A good power test for outlet and wiring integrity is a toaster, toaster oven, or hair dryer rated at about 1500 watts.

If it doesn't run and heat steadily, then there may be a problem with the house wiring or breaker.

If it passes this test, the problem is likely in the microwave.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jan 13, 2008

freetek

Steve Allison

  • 5569 Answers

SOURCE: GE Microwave JE1640WB blows circuit breaker

The problem may not have anything to do with the magnetron.
It is a device that uses DC for operation and to supply that, there is one or more heavy diodes that are more likely to fail first.
Have also seen the transformers fail occasionally too.

Frankly, it may be time to dispose of it since you will likely be billed for the repair if the magnetron is not at fault and once they have it, you don't know if the truth is being told or not.

Another possibility is a circuit breaker on its way to the grave.
If you care to go to the trouble, you might shut down the main breaker in the breaker box, swap the tripping breaker with another of the same rating and try the microwave one more time.
The surge current the microwave draws is probably a good bit higher than the hair dryer and might be enough to trip an aged breaker.

Posted on Mar 27, 2008

Anonymous

SOURCE: Ge jvm1650wb005

weve had our fixed before and it's the heating element $75-$100 to fix.

Posted on Sep 01, 2008

SolutionGuy

Tracy Farrell

  • 331 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave Upper Stirrer Motor

What up, Roller?
The straight up answer to your question is "Yes, you can continue using the oven without the stirrer motor". Here's the thing, though... the stuff you put in it won't heat evenly. I'm talkin' about big stuff; turkey, ham... stuff like that. And if you've utilized the defrost function in the past, you can forget about that now. But if you use it to heat up a dinner plate or a cup of coffee, you're good to go.

Another thing. You're motor is not the problem, it the coupler that connects to the motor shaft that has given out on you. That's the thing that connects to the motor shaft. You can see it, by lifting the glass outta your MW... see that little plastic drive gear there? It has three spokes on it. That's the gremlin in the machine.

The part number for it is WB06X10144. You can call a local appliance parts place or you can get one online (<---just type in the part number to a search engine).

Simple to replace... pull the old one out and slide the new one into place. See? Easy! Oh yeah, then you have to plug the motor back in, but hey! You already know how to do that! Cool!

Don't forget to rate my solution, OK? Show me some FixYa love, Roller!

SG
91f2e96.jpg

Posted on Jun 03, 2009

Anonymous

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: GE Spacemaker XL1800 hum/buzz noise but heating works

were you able to replace the magnetron? Did it fix your problem? I have the same issue, and so I wanted to find out from someone who possibly tried it firsthand!

Posted on Aug 06, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Ge spacemaker II microwave started humming and nothing showing on monitor


My parents have had a couple of the spacemaker microwaves mounted over the range with the built-in vent. Over time, the seal on the control board gets a crack in it and the steam from cooking below it gets up into the control board and does it in.
Even if yours isn't mounted over the range, it sounds like a main control board failure.

Sep 10, 2016 | GE PEM31DMBB Black Profile Spacemaker II...

1 Answer

My new GE over the range microwave works fine but has a loud buzzing/humming noise when in use


This sound you describe is not normal and should be checked quickly, even if it means returning the item.

Mar 27, 2012 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE Microwave Spacemaker2. The toouch screen does not respond


could use a little more detail.
when u have no display screen the solutions are. possible causes * A fuse in your home may be blown or the circuit breaker tripped. A. Replace fuse or reset circuit breaker
* Power surge. A. Unplug the microwave oven, then plug it back in.
* Plug not fully inserted into wall outlet A. Make sure the 3-prong plug on the oven is fully inserted into wall outlet.
* Door not securely closed. A. Open the door and close securely.

Jan 19, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker Microwave JVM1441 BH04 tripping circuit breaker


your power transformer for the magnetron could have a shorted primary power winding,the door safety interlock switch could be mis-adjusted,this normally blows the internal unit fuse,a shorted high voltage capacitor,or diode,a bare wire inside the unit,more than the microwave on that circuit or a weak circuit breaker in the house power panel

Jun 19, 2010 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave won't turn on. Seems like it is not getting power. I checked breaker. I am looking for a fuse. You know where one is? It is a GE Spacemaker(2 yrs old) model # JVM1440WH04


  • Make sure that the microwave is plugged into a grounded outlet. It must be a 3-prong outlet.
  • Make sure the clock is set.
  • Check to see if a programming sequence was entered. Sometimes improper programming or a program sequence such as delay start can cause the touch panel to be non-responsive. Unplug microwave or turn off house circuit breaker for 30 seconds. Plug back in, or reset circuit breaker, and try reprogramming unit.
  • Check the house circuit breaker or fuse box. If the microwave is DEAD and there is no display and nothing works- the problem could be a blown fuse or tripped breaker.

Jul 29, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Advantium mircrowave oven


The problem with my Advantium was the fuse inside the microwave.Thanks to all of your fixya emailers ,I was able to change the fuse myself.I would recommend your site to all as you were a great help to me. Thank you, wlpasko.

Apr 09, 2009 | GE Advantium SCA2000B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

There is no power to the unit at all circuit breaker not tripped


blown fuse-easy fix -find book-it is shown behind service panel

Nov 04, 2008 | GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JVM1660 Microwave Oven Logo

800 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

Poppa Maddo
Poppa Maddo

Level 2 Expert

372 Answers

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9179 Answers

Jimmy

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...