Things which you should know and do before upgrade:
1. HP may demand you to reinstall back Vista if you will have any hardware problems to troubleshoot them.
2. HP will not help you if you will have any software problems because this models are not officially supported
with Windows 7.
3. Before you will upgrade to Windows 7 please make Vista Recovery CD/DVD
. How to do it all informations here
4. All Vista
drivers and pre-installed software by HP for your model are in C:\swsetup
If you still have it on your HDD then copy this folder to CD/DVD. You may need them someday.
5. Users with nVidia graphic card should check temperature of this device before upgrade.
This way you will know is it working ok in Windows 7 too.
How you may check your notebook CPU (processor), GPU (graphic card), motherboard or HDD temperature?
To do that use HWMonitor
(free and recommended) or Aida64
How to find out which model you've got and specifications for it
1. Click on Support & Drivers
link. (Upper part of this page.)
2. In search box type your laptop product number (p/n)
How to Locate the Notebook p/n
3. Under notebook picture you will find your notebook model name (example: HP Pavilion dv6205eu Notebook PC
4. On the same page click on Product Information
-> Product Specifications
and you will find all informations about
your notebook hardaware.
How to install Windows 7 and what you should know while upgrading:
1. Guide: How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7
2. All Windows 7 drivers you will find in next post below.
3. Some drivers have comment then they are originaly made for Vista
When normal installation will fail, then try to run unsuccessfully installed file in Compatibility Mode
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2).
Make older programs run in this version of Windows
How to Run a Program in Compatibility Mode in Windows 7