Question about 2003 Mercury Mountaineer
1. Raise the vehicle so you can safely get underneath. The starter is typically located under the engine near the transmission mating surface. DON'T RELY ON A CHEAP JACK! Use drive on ramps or jack stands safely positioned on the frame, and lock the parking brake AND chock the rear wheels to keep it from rolling.
2. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery to remove voltage from the system. Don't want to arc yourself to the frame when you disconnect the cables from the starter!
3. Locate the starter motor and remove the nut that holds the starter cable in place, remove the cable and position it out of the way.
4. Disconnect the solenoid connector...the smaller of the two wires going to the starter.
5. Remove the bolts holding the starter to the mount...usually 2, sometimes 3.
6. Remove the old starter.
7. Carefully compare the old to the new...make sure they match.
8. Install the new starter...thread all the mounting bolts in hand tight, then torque them to the specification listed in the service manual.
9. Reconnect the two wires you removed earlier.
10. Reconnect the battery.
That should do it! Hope this helps...
Posted on Oct 11, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
The power distribution box is
located in the engine compartment.
The power distribution box contains
high-current fuses that protect your
vehicle’s main electrical systems
The starter relay is in position #56 of that box.
Posted on Mar 23, 2009
Go to this website and pick owner guide on left task bar. Input vehicle info then get the owners manual.Your fuse panel info starts on page 120.
To replace lighter just reach around behind it and unhook connectors. The stick something in the socket(I usually use 2 fingers) and twist it counter clockwise. the center will screw out of the sleeve.
Posted on Mar 15, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 21, 2014 | 1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Aug 19, 2012 | 2001 Mercury Mountaineer
Aug 17, 2012 | 2001 Mercury Mountaineer
Nov 20, 2011 | 2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Dec 09, 2010 | 2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Mar 23, 2009 | 2007 Mercury Mountaineer
Jan 23, 2009 | 2004 Mercury Mountaineer
6,042 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: