My 2006 volvo key wont unlock and car wont start but security light flashes
Locate your second key fob -
Try using that key fob -
if it does not work, and you can verify the Batteries in both Fob's are good - it could be a couple different things.
1. your security system control box may be 'bad'.
2. their is a 'ring' around the key area that are notorious for going bad and preventing the car from starting - however...they don't prevent the key fob from remotely opening the door locks.
3. The power feeding the security system is interrupted (blown fuse, etc) -
I would do the following:
1. Check the second fob and see if it works - If it does you have a bad #1 key fob (or battery).
2. Check ALL of the fuses (in the dashboard Drivers side access panel) AND under hood - Check even those not labeled security - as there are often fuses that feed more than one item, but are only labeled for one item.
3. Try going inside the car, shut all the doors, and lock/unlock the car five or six times using the interior control - I believe this is supposed to reset the unit.
I could be wrong - you can look this up. It might be that you have to do this with the key fob but I can't recall.
Give those things a shot. Also, make 100% sure all of the doors, hood, trunk, etc are fully closed.
I'd just about bet you have a bad key fob - finding #2 is the key here.
Beyond that - it's probably a trip to the junkyard for a new security module and matching set of key fobs - But long before getting involved in that - I'd bet you have a bad key fob or blown fuse -
Security Modules and key fob's are not universally replaceable, are extremely difficult to work with (for those without VIDA [Volvo Diagnostic software] and programming capabilities) and have to be programmed to work with the control unit to which assigned.
Volvo Cars &...
on Feb 17, 2019