Question about Frigidaire Microwave Ovens
This may occur due to faulty breaker check by replacing,if the problem is due microwave than it can not be intermittent.
Posted on Mar 04, 2019
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Since power = voltage X current, 1.58kW / 120VAC = 13.166A
So this unit should be fine on a 15A breaker unless the breaker is bad, the wiring or a connection is loose somewhere between the breaker and the microwave, or the microwave's magnetron or high voltage transformer are failing and drawing extra current.
Microwaves should really be on the own separate breaker if at all possible. Plus, the more a breaker trips, the more work out it gets.
Have you measured the voltage at the outlet? If that's off, current and power will be affected. It should be about 110-125VAC.
A good power test for outlet and wiring integrity is a toaster, toaster oven, or hair dryer rated at about 1500 watts.
If it doesn't run and heat steadily, then there may be a problem with the house wiring or breaker.
If it passes this test, the problem is likely in the microwave.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jan 13, 2008
A microwave can be dead for many reasons.
It may be the fuse, which is usually located behind the grille or on the floor of the oven behind the control panel or between the door switches.
If the fuse is good, it may be an open thermostat or thermal cutout (TCO) / thermal fuse on or near the magnetron or on top of the cavity / body of the oven.
If it goes dead for a while during or after cooking then comes back on, the magnetron is probably overheating and causing the magnetron thermostat to open.
Then when it cools, it closes the circuit and allows power through again.
When checking TCOs or thermostats, if it has a hood fan thermostat, that should read open, as opposed to the others, which should read closed.
The TCOs you need to be concerned usually with have all black or white wires only. Please reply with photos of your interior if you have questions.
If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.
If it goes dead or blows the breaker (or GFI) when you plug it in or open or close the door, then there's a problem with a door switch or door switch mount.
If it's intermittent or random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or a loose fuse holder, or even an intermittent fuse.
You should do a continuity test on the fuse while it's in the holder (with the microwave unplugged, of course) then turn the fuse by hand or take it out and put it back in, then test it again.
If you remove the fuse, then press the meter leads against the ends, it can allow internal contact to be made and make a bad fuse appear to be good.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
You can order Panasonic parts here.
You can find an authorized Panasonic servicer here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Sep 28, 2008
The circuit is probably a 20Amp circuit (see the number stamped on the circuit breaker switch). Most likely, it is the same circuit as the refrigerator, crock pot, window A/C unit, etc....
Also, if you are using an extension cord or a power strip or a surge protector. Those may not have a high enough power rating.
One other possibility (not likely) is that the circuit breaker is a 15Amp and the microwave is 1500 watts.
What else is cut off when the circuit breaker is tripped?
Solution is to use a different outlet for the microwave, or turn off any other applicance in the same circuit (except the refrigerator, of course).
Hope this helps!
Posted on Sep 16, 2009
If a fuse inside had blown, that would definitely reduce the current flow rather than trip the breaker.
I have replaced several breakers over the years; they no longer last forever.
Try your Amana on a different circuit, not in the kitchen; if that other circuit likes the oven, the breaker is bad. If the alternate circuit breaker also trips, then you have not a blown fuse in the Amana but rather a shorted component inside and repairing the oven will likely cost about the same as replacing it.
Posted on Nov 22, 2009
You might try pulling the plug on the unit and leaving it overnight. The electronics may have locked up due to irregular voltage during the failure. There may also be a GFI (ground fault interrupter) on that circuit that has tripped for the same reason. Check the kitchen outlets for a tripped GFI.
Posted on Feb 14, 2010
Testimonial: "These are solutions I tried before submitting the question and nothing worked; but thanks for the suggestions!!!"
Tips for a great answer:
Thank you for your post, Steve Shaw!
From what you have described it sounds like a possible faulty wiring harness, control panel, or magnetron within your Frigidaire microwave. I would recommend having a professional out to provide a proper diagnosis. This will help to avoid unnecessary part purchases. -Matt
Dec 17, 2014 | Frigidaire FFCE1638LB
Dec 02, 2017 | Frigidaire GLMV169D Microwave Oven
Sep 25, 2017 | GE JE2160 Microwave Oven
Sep 15, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 29, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jan 27, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Aug 19, 2008 | Frigidaire GLMV168K Microwave Oven
Mar 25, 2008 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Jan 18, 2008 | Emerson MW8107WA Microwave Oven
59 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: