Question about Electrical Supplies
Generator has been sitting and starts but doesn't generate power
Posted by Anonymous on
Cummins generator set will occasionally encounter generator failure in the process of use that Cummins generator set is not generating electricity. What is the cause of it? And what to do about it? In fact, there are a lot of reasons that Cummins generator set is not generating electricity.
1. Wrong connection of generator set. Processing: check and correct by wiring diagram.
2. Generator speed is too low. Processing: measuring speed and keeping it at rated value.
3. The connection between the stator winding and the generator distribution equipment has sludge or oxide, the connection screw is loose, the connection wire is broken, and the stator winding is broken. Handling: use a multimeter or lamp test method to find out where the wire is broken. Check the connection and contact of each connection screw.
4. Excitation circuit broken or bad contact. Processing: use multimeter to identify broken wire and reweld the broken wire to bind insulation.
5. Rectifying tube (including rectifier diode, thyristor) is damaged. Treatment: replace damaged parts.
6. Brush contact with slip ring bad or brush pressure is not enough. Treatment: clean the surface of the slider ring, polish the brush, make it match with the surface of the slider ring, increase the brush pressure.
7. Brush grip rusts, brush can not slide up and down. Treatment: wipe the inner surface with a cloth brush, if damaged, should be replaced.
8. Cummins generator exciter brush position is incorrect, brush damage or spring pressure is not enough. Handling: adjust the brush to the correct position, replace the brush, adjust the spring pressure.
Posted on Oct 26, 2018
WHAT MODEL WHAT SPEC? DETAILS ??????????
Posted on Mar 01, 2015
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Generac Guardian 15kW Generator
That sounds just about right, if the relay contacts get welded together it sometimes takes out the driver on the printed circuit board. As you found out, 12vdc from 23 to 194 makes the transfer switch move to the Generator position, relay not energized makes the ATS move to the Normal position.
You can make a nice test function by installing a 10 amp contact switch in series with either the N1 or N2 terminals. When the switch is open the generator thinks the Normal power has failed.
Posted on Jan 26, 2009
The voltage regulator controls the output. You will need to check that first.
If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at https://www.6ya.com/expert/craig_3fa289bf857b1a3c
Posted on Aug 01, 2009
I have a Troy bilt 7800 13500 generator. It has maybe 40 hrs on it. And It stopped working. I took it into a shop to have it fixed. Repair cost would be $1000.00 I paid 1200 for it. Shop said the 3 main parts of the generator were fried. The Generator was bought in 2005 and only like 40 hrs on it and it is dead. Troy bilt will not help out with the repair because it is to old, yet it has no real run time on it. Now the generator is just a paper weigh
Posted on Sep 30, 2009
remove the covering panel and expose the internals , check for loose/disscontected push on ( lucar ) connectors , if these are fine it is most likely the excitation capacitor is deffective , replace with exactly the same value/voltage rating/duty cycle . the capacitor is usual 1 or up to 3 cylindrical tubes with 2 wires comming from them , always take a note of exactly what wires you have taken off :) hope this helps
Posted on Oct 20, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 20, 2017 | Electrical Supplies
Oct 08, 2014 | Volvo Cars & Trucks
Oct 05, 2014 | Onan Marquis Gold Quiet Gas Generator 5500...
Oct 09, 2013 | Onan Cummins 8.0 HDKAK/1046 RV QD 8000...
Nov 30, 2017 | Honda 3000 Watt Portable Generator
Apr 01, 2013 | Motorcycles
Sep 21, 2017 | Honda Electrical Supplies
Aug 12, 2011 | RTO Cummins Onan HomeSite Power 2400
Feb 10, 2010 | OTC 7471A CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE BARRING...
128 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!