20 Most Recent
- Page 4 Questions & Answers
My archos is showing recovery code 101
It is indicating that there is a hard drive fault. Here is another users suggested method to clear the fault.
Following some extensive use I switched it on one day to find that it hung on the Archos home screen and kept going in a loop. Luckily I could see the red HDD light flickering so knew that the Archos was trying to do something and that the HDD was recoverable. When I entered into the recovery mode I found that I had an recovery code (101) which indicates a HDD fault.
I used the following steps to recover the HDD:-
1. Connect the archos to the PC using the USB cable (the unit will start but will need to be shut down again by pressing the power button)
2. Press the power button and the 'lock' button together for a few seconds and you should get a basic recovery screen
3. Scroll down to repair disk and select
4. Click on done and wait for a few seconds and you will see the archos as a drive in 'My Computer' (Note that this does take a few minutes)
5. You now need to back up your data, movies, music, widgets etc as the next step is to format the Archos HDD which will wipe it all.
6. Disconnect the Archos, turn it off and then turn it back on again by pressing the power and 'lock' buttons together.
7. Scroll down to format disk and select. The Archos will now delete all files on the HDD and you will get a message asking to connect to a PC and install the update file. This is the firmware file that can be obtained from the Archos website. You'll also notice that the recovery code has changed from 101 to 108
8. Connect the Archos to the PC, wait for a few seconds and you will see the archos as a drive in 'My Computer' again.
9. Drag the firmware update file from your PC where you've downloaded it to directly on to the root drive
10. Click 'done' on the Archos and it will begin to update the operating system.
11. Once this is complete then there should be an update successful message, select done and the archos should restart giving you the nice bubble screen and asking if you want to enable USB.
12. Note that the Archos is now in a 'factory built' condition so you'll need to adjust settings etc according to your preferences.
13. You can now start the long process of transferring your files back to the Archos.
on Jan 12, 2010
Archos 5 60GB media player Audio Jack has bad solder connections
First pry out the small rubber feet in the plastic end covers. There are three of them. The plastic cover near the fold out leg can be fully removed by unscrewing the two screws, one expossed by the leg being folded out and the other exposed by the rubber feet being removed. Remove the other two screws from the second plastic cover, do not try to remove this cover. The display metal cover has three small holes along the side. Using a push pin press in each hole releasing the well designed integral spring latch at each location. You may hear them click as they release. Small rubber pads inside the assembly help separate the covers as they are unlatched. The display cover with display will lift straight up off the latches but just enough to be able to hinge it on the flex connection to one side. You will have to rest it against something as you repair any broken solder connections of the audio jack.
When closing up the Archos case do everything in reverse order from the above explanation. A helpful hint is to lay the Archos on a flat surface and slowly guide the display cover onto the latches so they just slip evenly inside, watching to insure the connector baffle and power button also slip inside the cover. When everything looks evenly engaged you can press the cover compressing the rubber pads and latching the metal covers together. replace the screws, plastic cover and rubber feet and your done.
on Dec 08, 2009
I want to know if
HI, Apple, provider of the popular
iTunes service, has limited the software so it will copy purchased
videos (M4Vs) only to video iPods -- also an Apple product.
So you cannot transfer the ipod videos downloaded from itunes directly to your archos. But the TuneBite Platinum
software lets you convert copy-protected M4V video clips to unprotected
WMV or MPEG4 files you can use anywhere. TuneBite "watches" as you play
the video on your screen and captures the video stream, which can then
be saved in the format you choose. According to the TuneBite website,
TuneBite does not circumvent DRM copy-protection technology, so it is
completely legal. TuneBite Platinum costs US $ 40 but you can download
a trial version that will convert the first 30 seconds of the video for
Please click on the below link to get the complete details of this software:
So after you buy the above software you can convert the itunes video to mpeg format and transfer it to your archos.
I suggest you go to their site and download the trial software and test it for yourself before you purchase.
Thank you for using fixya
on Dec 03, 2009
My archos 504 has a
You will need to download the firmware file from here http://www.archos.com/support/support_tech/updates.html?country=us&lang=en
Just select the Archos model you have and download it to your computer. Then attach the Archos to the computer and turn it on. Open my computer and locate the Archos the drag the downloaded file and drop it into the archos drive on my computer. Once the file has been transferred completely then leave the archos on and connected then re-boot the pc. The archos should automatically boot up but if it does not and is frozen at the "done" screen then use a pen on the reset button and reset the archos. This should do the trick. Let me know if it works or if you have any other questions.
on Dec 01, 2009
How to get out of the archos 605 demo mode wheh it
Demo software should not be on the device is sold to a customer. Because it is for stores to display them. If you have demo software working on your archos 5 press the power button and hold it for 10 seconds until it shuts off this will reset your device. And it should come up with normal user mode
on Sep 14, 2009
First time charging up of archos 5.just the green
Your archos probably has a glitch in it. You might have to do a system recovery of it. First download the latest firmware program from Archos website. Here is a quick possible fix when the screen comes up reset the archos by inserting a paperclip in the reset hole located at the bottom of the unit right of the connectors it might work it might not. if that doesn't fix the problem do a hard reset when the logo screen comes up hold down the volume+ button until the white recovery page comes up. First try repairing the unit if that doesn't work try format and follow the instructions. the touch screen doesn't function during the recovery page so use the volume+&- buttons & power button. When you get done your archos should be set to factory presets so you have to set it up. Good Luck
on Aug 24, 2009
Not finding what you are looking for?