It means that not all contacts are working.
1. Try this first - unplug the printer for a minute from the power supply and then replug.
2. Make sure you have removed ALL packaging materials from the printer. Details can be found here
3. Try to reseat the ink cartridge. Details here
If the steps above dont work, then the issue you describe seems to indicate that your
product requires repair service. If you feel your product might require
service, a Technical Support Representative will be happy to answer any
questions you may have and explain the service options available to
you. You can contact Canon through the email link or phone numbers listed
- Obtain Support by Email
toll-free technical support*, please call 1 (800) 828-4040 during
regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
EST, excluding holidays).
* There will be a pay for support charge if your product is out of warranty (see next section, below).
- Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired is available Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-866-251-3752
- Technical Support is available for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON