Where does the noise filter go? if it goes inline with the antenna, don't use it!!! It's bad for a cb radio.
The problem is that the V73 has a very sensitive receive. It is picking up noise in the car. Most likely the smog pump, or fuel pump.
Here are a few things you can try.
First, lets make sure where the noise is getting into the radio. It will either be getting in via the power wire, or the antenna.
To find out, here is what you do.
- Turn the car on, and the radio on.
- unscrew the antenna from the back of the radio. Make sure you do not key the radio without the antenna hooked up. It will hurt the transmit section.
If when you take the antenna wire off the back of the radio, the noise goes away, then the noise is getting in via the antenna system. Solutions for this could be any of the following.
- Bad coax or connectors. Replace the coax with new coax.
- Antenna not ground, or poorly grounded. If its a mag mount antenna, make sure the membrane on the bottom is in tact and there is nothing in between it and the metal of the car. this is how the antenna is grounded. If its a rigid mount to the body of the car, make sure it is free of rust or paint where it is mounted.
To find out if the noise is getting in from the coax, or antenna.
- Hook the coax back up to the radio. The noise will be back.
- Disconnect the coax from the antenna if you can.
If the noise goes away, it is the antenna. Try a new antenna. If the noise doesn't go away, its most likely bad coax.
Now if when you disconnect the antenna wire, the noise is still there, then the noise is getting in through the power wire.
Here are some things you can do to get rid of the noise.
- Connect power wire direct to the battery.
- Twist the power wire.
- Put a not in the power wire right at the plug.
- Use power line noise filter. It is a ground loop filter.
Some vehicles are noisy. You can't get away from it. Even with all of the solutions you may still have some noise. It's like that in my f150 pickup. I can't completely get rid of the noise, but most of it. In my blazer, I can hear the ignition noise if I do not use the ANL. In my friends dodge, he has no noise at all. Even without the ANL on. It's amazing.