Janome hd3000. Top thread tangles around take up lever.
Hi Eleanor, that issue is almost always the thread itself causing it but here are a bunch of things to try. ONE AT A TIME...so you'll know immediately how to fix it next time.
1. Try a different spool of thread.
2. Turn the spool around so the thread comes off the spool on the opposite end.
3. Change your needle and make sure you are using the right needle for the thread and the job. (I'm notorious for skipping that step, and I pay for it every time...when I grow up, I want to remember stuff!)
4. Check your tension...too tight may cause it.
5. Make sure there are no burrs around the hole in the foot plate. If a burr catches a bit of the thread, it can catch one of the plies of the thread and pull only that one, that will make it twist up on itself further back
6. Check the tensions discs for burrs and debris. I take mine off and clean them with alcohol and then put a dab of clear machine oil on them, then wipe that off so it's not dripping. Don't take yours off if you are not comfortable with doing it. If you loosen the tension, you can wrap a tooth pick with a piece of scrap, put some alcohol on the scrap and move it around between the discs. Another (my fav) option is to use pipe cleaners with a bit of alcohol on them.
I hope something works, good luck!
on Apr 30, 2019