After hours of searching I finally found a fix:
1. Remove the battery
2. Remove the HDD
3. Removed the RAM to make the solder points, marker 'J1' on the motherboard visible
4. I then used a paper clip and sticky tape to join these solder points
5. With the solder points joined, insert one stick of RAM and turn the machine on
6. Wait until the laptop is in a post BIOS state (past the screen where you can press F2 for setup and where the logo shows) and remove the paper clip. This has to be removed while the laptop is still on.
7. Turn off computer, press F2 to enter BIOS and you should find there is no password.
Repeat the above steps if you find this doesn't work.