Question about Yamaha Motorcycles
Hi, Hugo it should be noted that the reasons your check engine light or CEL stays on constantly or flashes and your bike will or will not start and may turnover or not, these conditions will vary from bike to bike depending on the year, make, and model and you should always refer to your owners/service manual for proper diagnostic procedures. It should also be noted that any type of prior work done to the bike or an abnormal event occurrence IE: adding accessories, electrical curiosity or adventures, laying the bike down or crashes, rainstorms or bike washings just before CEL light issues started can be significant hints or aids into tracking down the gremlin, also for 2003 and older models carry the appropriate jumper wire to access fault codes and reduce the risk of being stranded or towed also keep in mind that your CEL comes to life if anything, and I do mean anything isn't 100% with the ECM like parameter spikes. This means that you could be staring at a major repair, or your speedometer sensor is contaminated and needs to be cleaned.
And the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery check the terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary, you should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
2. Faulty charging system.
3. Faulty system sensor some models have up to 40 sensors
4. Faulty safety switches: run/off, ignition, clutch lever, neutral, side stand, tip over, fuel, and or their connections.
5. The engine got wet where it didn't like to get wet.
6. Faulty ignition circuit spark plugs, coils, cables etc.
7. Broken wire or worn insulation exposing wire to a ground situation especially inside wire harness at tight bends around fairing brackets, under dash panels, under fuel tanks over cylinder heads etc. Many harnesses are open on the ends that will allow water to enter and accumulate at v-bends.
Dielectric grease and contact cleaner are your best friends for wire/cable/harness connectors, look for corroded, broken, or loose pins/sockets. Run speedometer diagnostics and check for generated fault codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Motorcycle Dash Warning Lights
Yamaha XC125 Service Manual
List of Yamaha motorcycles
Posted on Aug 26, 2019
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
There is a dead cylinder, so its not getting a spark at one spark plug. Check it at Autozone for free, that will tell you where the trouble is.
Posted on Aug 20, 2009
What exactly does the warning light look like? It is probably the transmission warning light. The transmission uses the radiator to cool the transmission fluid. You need to have your cooling system serviced on a 10 year old car. Drain, flush, fresh coolant, new thermostat. A full service. Keep driving and you may end up with a transmission repair. Good luck.
Posted on Nov 18, 2009
Testimonial: "Haven't actually been to the garage yet to have this advice tried and tested, but will take it seriously and have it done ASAP. Thank you."
Here is a link to the wiring diagram, follow it to find the problem. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/spooge031/2012-07-29_223517_41860228.gif
Posted on Aug 31, 2016
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 14, 2017 | 2008 Yamaha Vino 125
Jan 12, 2017 | John Deere Garden
Jul 21, 2016 | 2008 Yamaha YZF-R15
Dec 29, 2012 | 2001 Yamaha Drag Star Four
Oct 13, 2012 | 2008 Yamaha MT-01
Feb 27, 2011 | 2007 Yamaha XT 125 R
Dec 20, 2009 | 2003 Ford F150 Regular Cab
May 19, 2008 | 2004 Volkswagen Passat
21 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: