Question about 1996 Volkswagen Jetta
P0422 - Catalyst below threshold.
Catalytic converter is clogged or out of medium.
Fault Code Definition
Code P0422 indicates that the Bank 1 Main Catalytic Converter's emissions efficiency has fallen below the minimum allowable limit. This threshold is tracked by a Catalyst Monitoring Oxygen Sensor located on or near the outlet of the Catalytic Converter.
* Check Engine Light will illuminate
* In many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticed
Common Problems That Trigger the P0422 Code
* Defective Catalytic Converter
* Engine misfires have damaged the Catalytic Converter
* Internal engine damage resulting in high oil consumption and/or a leaking Head gasket has damaged the Catalytic Converter
* Oxygen Sensors are replaced when the real problem is a damaged Catalyst
* Catalyst is replaced when the real problem is internal engine damage, which is producing elevated emissions levels
* Catalyst is replaced when a misfiring engine is the real problem
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.!@#$%
Posted on Sep 28, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 04, 2017 | Volkswagen Jetta Cars & Trucks
Jun 11, 2012 | Volkswagen Jetta Cars & Trucks
May 28, 2011 | 2004 Volkswagen Jetta
Nov 15, 2010 | 2002 Volkswagen Passat
Mar 23, 2010 | 2000 Volkswagen Golf
Feb 05, 2010 | 2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Jul 30, 2009 | 1996 Volkswagen Passat
Jul 11, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen New Jetta
Jul 04, 2008 | 1999 Volkswagen Beetle
891 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: