Question about 1990 Honda Accord
1990 honda accord lx.
Temp. Gauge reads over last red bar. Engine runs fine... This happens after one minute after starting engine. New temp. sensor.and had a radiator flush. water pump is working as well as the thermostat.
Do i need a new instrumental cluster? or is there another relay or sensor that sends the info to the gauge that i can replace.
Firstly - DO NOT run engine, when guage reads hot, as this will cause costly damage to head gasket & alloy engine head.
The fact that guage takes 1min to read HOT, would confirm the guage IS working properly.
So, other components which are likely to cause hot readings (in this order) are:
- lack of coolant (or leakage somewhere): is there sufficient green coolant at the correct level? Top up mixture to correct level. Repair any leaks.
- collapsed radiator hose: when engine is cold, start engine, then quickly watch both upper & lower radiator hoses to see if either begins to flex inwards (collapse). Replace if either hose is collapsed.
- bad/incorrect thermostat rating : when replacing thermostats, you must ensure it is of the SAME temp rating (they all differ).
- Incorrect Temp sensor rating: the ratings of this sensor must be within manufacturer's spec's.
- bad waterpump: the engine relies on the waterpump to distribute the coolant throughout the entire system. If waterpump is faulty, coolant will not flow quick enough, causing overheating.
If you still believe all of the above components are OK, then have your cooling system "pressure tested". This test should be done, before looking further at other electrical components.
"if this has helped you in any way, please rate this solution"
Posted on Jan 27, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 01, 2014 | Honda Pilot Cars & Trucks
Apr 05, 2013 | Mitsubishi Montero Sport Cars & Trucks
Aug 24, 2012 | 1990 GMC Sierra
Dec 10, 2011 | 1994 Honda Accord
Nov 15, 2011 | 2006 Honda Accord
Jul 14, 2010 | 1998 Honda Accord
Sep 23, 2009 | Honda Accord Cars & Trucks
Jan 05, 2009 | 2000 Honda Civic
1,015 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: