2005 Subaru Outback XT - Real Tail light- bulb replacement
1. Open the rear hatch, and look down towards the bumper, in the direction of the tail light bulb needing replacement.
2. You should see the dark colored plastic trim piece, which is held in place by two small plastic body style philips head screws.
3. These wil only 'loosen' a little bit, you will need to slip a fingernail or some other slim item, underneath the heads of each of the screws, and pull back on them firmly by grasping the body of the screw, not the head (which is flimsy, and can crush if squeezed).
3. remove the plastic trim piece - it can be achieved by lifting out and towards you - set aside.
4. Using a 10mm socket or wrench, unscrew the upper and lower bolts holding the taillight assembly in place.
5. the taillight assembly is now loose - it can pulled rearwards, and will slide off of the small guide slots holding it in place.
6. The bulb is a twist lock style, underneath the tan cap- twist the cap counter-clockwise, and it will pop out. The bulb is a number 7440, for the running light/ brake light, and a 7443 for the turn signal.
a 3757 will not fit through the cut out hole in the taillight assembly.
7. Re-assemble in reverse, making sure to check the function of the bulb PRIOR to re-assembly.
on Jan 04, 2017