G16 engines, know them like back of hand sold 3.
restored 2, total overhauled 1 engine my hands.
1996+ are all G16b (the B means 16valve heads)
all are MPI injected x4.
all are MAF based EFI. all are. and can fail for this.
to (too) hot,
what does that mean? we use a thermal gun to see too hot the 17year old dash gauge is a toy. and OLD.
or means when engine reaches normal 180F temperatures,
elaborate that, please.
parked , cold engine, hot engine, (not overheated)
driving , at all speeds all gears ,hills and flat.
cuts out means nothing much.
cuts out can be a minor hesitations to a full on bog,
does car have wide open throttle power,?
cuts out can mean total 12vdc power failure, with all lamps in car showing that or groups, going dead or dim.
if yes, the EFI will lose DC power too. and cut out.
is the CEL lamp glowing running,?
Check engine lamp. in cluster.
its not a panacea that light but can glow.
the panacea if possible is scanning the PCM using any OBD2 scan tool made. see if there are DTC errors.
many do not set the CEL glowing, CEL is mostly for SMOG tests
in USA> (we invented it here)
- old or bad fuel
- MAF dirty clean it with maf cleaner (CRC) 6" afar. no close.
- o2 dead, unplug it see if symtoms go away. front 02.
- air leaks anywhere on the main air induction pipe MAF to TB will cause lean hesitations, (makes MAF lie)
- low fuel pressure. (a tool finds this, ask)
- dead maf, or ECU in limphome mode, scan it.